When a MamaBaker put out a call for help to tame the kale that was growing weed-like through her garden, the response from our community was an overwhelming, “Lucky you!”. It would seem that the mighty kale has quite the following.
But what to do with this nutrient dense, powerhouse of a vegetable?
Here’s what. 50 of them in fact……and more, so many more, on our homage to kale, “All Hail, Kale!” on Pinterest.
1. Green Smoothie A: Frozen banana, frozen pear, fresh kale and water-blend really well to break down the leaf cells for all their nutritious benefits.
2. Green Smoothie B: Lemon (skin and all), cucumber, apple kale and coconut water.
3. Kale and white bean soup
4. Smokey Cauliflower and kale soup
5. Kale and tomato(ish) soup
6. Roasted tomato and rosemary soup with kale and potatoes
7. Sautéed with lemon, olive oil, sea salt.
8. Brazilian dish ‘Couve’, sautéed and served with the national dish, Feijoada.
9. Sautéed kale with tahini sauce
10. Kale and egg sauté with avocado
11. Kale, mushroom and tomato sauté with polenta
In a salad
12. Raw – use as a salad, dressed simply with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
13. Raw kale salad with lentils and apricot vinaigrette
14. Kale bread salad
15. Kale with roasted beetroot and bacon
16. Poppy seed crusted butternut pumpkin with kale and pomegranates
17. Kale with kelp flakes
18. Kale blackberry and orange salad
19. Crusted Jerusalem artichokes with lentils, kale and harissa
20. Kale with walnuts and peaches
21. Kale and Brussels sprouts salad
22. Kale, sunflower sprouts and pepita salad
23. Kale and cous cous with green garlic dressing.
24. Stir fries – use as you would bok choy or any other leafy green.
25. Chilli, lemon and herb tofu with kale and pine nuts
26. Spicy stir fried kale with red peppers and tofu
27. Kale Pesto – lightly blanch kale leaves with a few cloves of garlic, blend with olive oil, macadamia, pine nuts or walnuts, pepper, salt and lemon juice.
28. Pasta with kale, bacon and sun-dried tomatoes
29. Lemon, garlic and kale pasta.
30. Smoked Salmon kale carbonara
31. Shredded finely as a pizza topping.
32. Chicken sausage pizza with kale and walnut pesto
33. Kale lasagne
34. Kale and Fetta Rolls
35. Sauté kale, silver beet, onions, garlic, lemon and salt and pepper. Mix in some ricotta and fetta cheese, wrap in puff pastry and bake to golden.
36. Sausage and Kale tart
37. Pan-fried Chicken, kale and chic peas.
38. Jamaican style curried kale and white bean patties
39. Baked eggs with kale and bacon
40. Kale and goats cheese frittata cups
41. Sausage and Kale mock lasagne casserole
42. Kale stuffed Portobello mushrooms
43. Remove the meat from Italian flavoured sausages and cook with some diced onion. Break up the meat when cooking. Add some finely diced pumpkin with 1 C white wine or vegetable stock. When cooked, add in finely sliced kale and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add pre-cooked pasta and stir to warm through.
44. Traditional Irish Dish – Colcannon
45. Kale Chip – spray with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, place on a baking tray and bake until crisp.
46. Chopped finely on sandwiches.
47. Wrap a kale leaf around a large slice of banana that has been spread with tahini and honey
48. Kale stuffed pita pockets
49. Kale and fetta quesadillas
50. Kale rolls with quinoa and chic pea filling