It’s certainly not freezing cold all over Australia; MamaBakers in the Northern regions are enjoying/enduring the perpetual humidity while we try to warm ourselves over stews and hot chocolate. Here’s one that is perfect for you Northern mamas.
Have you ever had horchata?
This is Latin American and Mexican drink based on rice and cinnamon. It is creamy and refreshing and is naturally vegan and dairy free. Horchata is served cold over ice. This recipe requires overnight soaking, although technically you can cheat by using rice milk and almond milk; however the result won’t be as flavoursome or authentic. This makes about 6 serves.
1 cup blanched almonds
½ cup long grain white rice
2 cinnmon sticks
½ cup agave syrup
750mls of hot water
- Combine the uncooked rice, almonds and cinnamon in a large bowl and cover with hot water. Allow to soak overnight.
- The next day, add 500mls additional water to the mixture and pour it into a blender.
- Process until thoroughly blended. Strain through a fine mesh sieve.
- Add agave syrup to taste. If you don’t want it as sweet you won’t want all the ½ cup of syrup.
- Serve in glasses over ice and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
Fancy some home made Hot chocolate recipes?