By Michelle Shearer
Friends around the fire mean’t only one thing! No, no not the nude fire breathing – the sticky date puddings, silly!
This recipe makes about 10 small puddings that I cooked in a 12 muffin pan with squares of greaseproof paper. If you would like the big batch recipe (makes 4 large puddings e.g. enough for 4 families of 4+, go here – member recipe)
150g self raising flour
1 tspn bicarbonate of soda
170g brown sugar
1/2 tspn vanilla essence
Ingredients: Caramel Sauce
200g brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 150 degreesC and line your muffin holes with greaseproof paper.
2. Place dates, bi-carbaronate of soda and water into large saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook until dates break down. Cool.
3. Add butter, stir until fully combined.
4. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla. Fold in flour.
5. Pour mixture into muffin tins and bake for about one hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
Method: Caramel Sauce
1. Place all ingredients into saucepan, bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until golden.
Serve, drizzling the warm sauce over the top and with extra cream.
Note: These are even better the next day. Pour some of the sauce over the top of each cake and chill for the night and you have caramel-y sticky date cupcakes for breakfast.