By Michelle Shearer
Does the very thought of Christmas see you reaching for the gin and hiding in the cupboard until January 1st? Yep, me too. It’s not just the to-do lists but all that mental space and time it requires!
Here’s how to handle Christmas the MamaBake way; no stress and sanity intact!
- Plan a MamaBake Christmas Session!
- Make a budget and stick to it
- Make and bake gifts where you can
- Delegate as much as possible – everyone can do their bit towards making it a special time
- Create a master ‘to do’ list in order of priority.
- Don’t go overboard with presents because it’s not the gifts that your kids remember but the memories that are created.
- Designate Christmas to be hosted at an uber-organised family member’s house
- Insist on Kris Kringle for extended family.
- Sign a No-Presents truce with friends.
- Buy presents in local shops in one afternoon via pre-made list.
- Agree to a Bring A Plate effort for lunch and choose something inexpensive but very delicious and easy to make in 10 minutes (see our salads list for ideas) or something you can make ahead of time.
- Spread out the family occasions over a few days to save Christmas Day for a relaxed and slow effort.
- Let go of meeting people’s expectations, drink some wine, and have a good time.
- A well stocked freezer and online shopping helps.
- Plan what you are going to eat for the Christmas weekend in advance because it seems the shops close for one or two days
- Buy and wrap presents in advance and hide them away
- Prioritise self nurture: breathe, aromatherapy, homeopathy, set your intentions, take care of your health, keep it simple!
- Failing all that go to the Himalayas and hide (I did).