We’ve all had that head of cauliflower moping around in the fridge waiting for its final go-out. And, when the stars align, we also have a bowl of leftover mashed potato wasting time, doing nothing, serving no purpose at all.
This recipe gives purpose to your lazy cauli and purposeless mashed tatties. Whip them both out of the fridge and put them to work! Give them the makeover of their lives and transform them from sad, lazy and purposeless into irresistable, drool-worthy, living-their-best-lives Cauli and Potato Tots.
Your fam will love you for this shizzle.
4 large potatoes (or same quantity in leftover mashed potatoes)
½ head cauliflower
¾ cup breadcrumbs
¼ cup Greek yogurt
½ cup parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius and get two pans of water on the boil (only if you don’t have leftover mashed potatoes to hand and need to make them from scratch).
- While you’re waiting for the water to boil, cut the cauliflower and potatoes into boilable pieces. When water is boiling, add the cauliflower to one pot, potatoes to the other and cook until tender. Drain and mash the cauliflower and potatoes.
- Combine the potato with the mashed cauliflower then add breadcrumbs, yoghurt, parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Add the eggs and mix in till just combined.
- In a large heavy based pot add 3cm of neutral oil and place on medium heat. The oil is hot enough when a drop of the mixture is quickly surrounded by a ring of bubbles.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop portions of the cauli and potato mixture and scrape off the spoon into the oil with another spoon or a spatula. Fry on each side for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Continue to cook until mixture is cooked. Serve immediately.