The nutrition of chia seeds is well documented across the interwebz. Here are 13 reasons chia is good for you as per the Wellness Warrior.
We have a couple of wonderful tasty recipes here and here (note: these could be member recipes).
- Chia is gluten free
- It is super high in dietary fibre, making it great for digestion and healing digestion issues.
- It contains 20% Omega 3 ALA, making it a super food for the brain and heart. Chia has eight times more Omega 3 than salmon!
- It boasts 20% protein
- The protein is a complete protein with all 8 essential amino acids
- It is high in antioxidants (It has a four times higher ORAC value than blueberries)
- Chia contains five times more calcium than milk
- Chia contains seven times more vitamin C than oranges
- It contains three times more iron than spinach
- It contains twice the potassium content of banana
- It is food for healthy skin, hair and nails
- It has a positive impact balancing blood glucose levels (making it awesome for diabetics)
- Chia makes a great egg replacement. Just combine with water to form a gel, and add it to recipes that call for egg.
For more information about how to eat it and all that, go here.
How much chia gel would equal an egg ?
3 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon white chia seed meal.
More here: http://www.veganbaking.net/component/content/article/57-recipes/eggless-binders/208-chia-seed-binder.html