Spring herb chicken pot pies
The tastes of spring come out in these yummy chicken pies that everyone will love. Makes 24 standard muffin sized pies, or use the 'scale' button to get quantities for an even bigger batch.
Deep fry pan
- 4 chicken breasts cooked and sliced into small, bite-sized pieces, approx. 1cm
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 6 sheets butter puff pastry
- 1 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves removed
- ½ cup fresh chives chopped
- 2 stalks spring onions chopped
- 4 stalks celery diced
- 100 g mushrooms chopped
- 1 red capsicum diced
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus chopped
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 2 cups cream
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 1 tablespoon milk
Fry a little olive oil in a frying pan
Add the onion and sauté until collapsed
Add spring onions, capsicum, celery and stir for 1-2 minutes
Pour in the broth, stir through and simmer together for 2-3 minutes
Remove from heat, allow to cool a little before pouring in cream, mustard, lemon juice and zest, herbs, asparagus and mushrooms. Combine
Add in the cooked chicken
Make and bake
Take a sheet of pastry and cut into a grid of 9 squares. Line each muffin tray hole with a square, stretching a little to shape
Spoon some of the mixture into each one and top with another square of pastry, use a fork to pierce an air vent and to help press sides together - use leftover pastry to decorate tops (optional)
Brush lightly with milk
Bake for about 30 minutes or until pastry is golden and cooked through (filling is already cooked).
- These can be made ahead, cooled, and frozen individually. Great standby for picnics or easy weeknight meals.
- Check the Spring 2020 Big Batch cooking for all four big batch recipes in this bonus and complete shopping and prep ahead instructions, or just make this by itself.
- Use a miniature muffin tray to make tiny pot pies that young kids will love or for a party, adjust cooking time.
- Leftover pastry squares can be cut up and used to decorate pie lids, or sprinkle the squares with some grated cheese and bake separately for a delicious snack.
- Use Bec's 3-2-1 Pastry if you want to try a richer handmade version. Double the quantity so you have plenty of coverage.